Learn the essential Excel skills that you need to quickly do common Excel tasks.
Our hands-on beginning Excel training shows you the essential must know topics of Excel like:
- Excel program, workbook and worksheet control.
- Table construction, worksheet formatting, and problem layout.
- Data entry, copying, pasting, sorting, and filtering.
- Totaling data, basic formulas, and functions (SUM).
- Charting and printing.
Detailed training syllabus.
How we run the class: We focus our beginning Excel training on what our customers need. When training begins, we analyze those needs and shift our beginning Excel training outline appropriately. We will stress topics or add
topics that our customers want. No two training sessions are ever the same with EMAGENIT.
Microsoft Excel Program and Interface Review (Discussed Throughout Class)
- What really is Microsoft Excel, how is it used to solve problems, and how can it be used in ways that you will not believe?
- Controlling the Microsoft Excel environment including using the Ribbon, special tool tabs, dialog boxes, and shortcut menus
- Using the mouse and keyboard to operate the Excel environment
- Important Excel shortcut keys to remember
Controlling Excel Workbooks and Worksheets
- What is an Excel workbook and how are they used?
- How to create, open, close, name and save workbooks
- A review of the critical workbook file types
- Navigating between multiple open workbooks
- Arranging multiple workbook windows in Excel for easy access
- What is a worksheet and how are they used?
- What is a cell, column, and row on a worksheet?
- How to create, copy, move, rename, delete, and view Excel worksheets including tab coloring
- How to hide and unhide an Excel worksheet and workbook
Methods for Typing and Filling Data on the Worksheet
- How data is stored in an Excel worksheet cell?
- Typing numeric, date, and text values in a worksheet cell
- Using the Flash Fill feature to automatically fill in values in a worksheet table
- Dragging and filling data down a worksheet in different patterns using AutoFill
How to Format Excel Worksheets and Make Basic Forms
- Resizing, inserting, and deleting Excel worksheet columns and rows
- Hiding and unhiding rows and columns on the worksheet
- Changing the font, alignment, color, and borders of a worksheet cell
- Merging worksheet cells on a worksheet
- Creating and managing Microsoft Excel cell comments, a great way to flag information
- Using all these features to create a basic form on a worksheet
Using Drawing Shapes and Pictures on the Worksheet
- How to turn a boring worksheet into a report / dashboard / display system superstar using shapes and pictures
- Creating drawing shapes on the worksheet
- Formatting, resizing, moving, and deleting drawing shapes
- Inserting a picture into an Excel worksheet
- How to format, resize, move, and crop a picture on an Excel worksheet
Designing Worksheet Tables to Store Data
- What is a table and how does it relate to storing and processing data on the worksheet?
- Proper table construction guidelines
- How Microsoft Excel can be used to store vast quantities of data
Creating Basic Excel Formulas on the Worksheet
- What are cell references and how to use them in formulas?
- A review of absolute, mixed, and relative cell references and how to use them in formulas
- How to create a formula in a cell, basic formula construction methods using the mouse
- How to add, multiply, subtract, and divide cell values using simple formulas
- Dragging and filling formulas down or across a worksheet
Using Basic Excel Worksheet Functions on the Worksheet
- What is a worksheet function, how are they run, why are you running them, and what in the world is an argument list?
- How to run a worksheet function from a formula
- Overview of the different argument constructs you can use to run a worksheet function
- What is a range reference on the worksheet and how do you use one with a worksheet function?
- Using essential Excel worksheet functions like SUM, MAX, MIN, AVERAGE, COUNTA, SUMIF, and COUNTIF in your formulas to process data
- Dragging and filling formulas with functions down or across a worksheet
Filtering, Sorting, and
Totaling Data on the Worksheet
- How to construct a proper table on a worksheet that stores and organizes data
- Sorting worksheet data using values and colors
- Using AutoFilter to filter worksheet data so you see only the information you want
- Using the Remove Duplicates feature to remove duplicated values from a worksheet column
- Using the Subtotal feature to auto sum groups of data on the worksheet
Creating Basic Charts in Excel
- What is a Microsoft Excel chart?
- Organizing your data on a worksheet so it can be used in a chart
- How to create a chart on a worksheet or chart sheet
- Performing basic formatting and editing tasks on an Excel chart
Methods and Strategies for Copying and Pasting Data in Excel
- How to copy a cell or range on a worksheet
- Copying and pasting an entire worksheet's data to another worksheet
- Copying and pasting filtered data on a worksheet to another worksheet to make a report
- How to copy and paste formulas on the worksheet, paste special discussion
- Copying and pasting things that float above the worksheet like charts, pictures, and drawing shapes
- Things to be aware of when copying and pasting in Excel
Printing Worksheets and Charts in Microsoft Excel
- How to check the spelling on your worksheets and charts
- How to set your printing options in Excel
- How to print Microsoft Excel worksheets and charts
Learn More >
Learn More >
Excel skills needed for our training.
Select this beginning Excel training if you or your group have:
- Performed basic computer operations like typing and using the mouse
- Never opened Microsoft Excel or have just seen it
- Never heard of a workbook, worksheet, cell, or cell reference
- Just typed data in a cell
- Never typed formulas
- Never copied, sorted, or filtered data
- Have no idea what we just said
The training details.
- Audience: Business, government, industry, military, engineering, science, techs... general audience
- Duration: 9:00 - 5:00 CT
- # of Days: 1-day
- Instruction Type: Hands-on, live, instructor taught training
- Full Excel Manual Included: Our 2200 + page
manual full of Excel tips, how-to-do topics and Excel examples included with the training. Details >
- Excel Versions: 2010-2019, Microsoft 365, Windows and Mac
- Free Repeats: Repeat your Excel training. Details >
- Personal Examples: We review our attendees personal examples in our training instruction
- Available Training Formats:
If you need to contact us about our training.
Phone Number: 1.805.498.7162
Business Hours: 8:30 - 5:00 PM PT
Contact us by form.
Need Help? Please call us at 1.805.498.7162
Copyright © 2002-2021
EMAGENIT All Rights Reserved